Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Sign Would Say Something Like: "Jesus loves these Christians, but he's damn sure disappointed in them."

Updated: I've been thinking about what I wrote below, and I want to say a few things about it. I realized that it is extremely sarcastic and back-handed, and I am not okay with that. This post was written in anger, an anger that didn't go away even 12 hours after the incident. That is inexcusable. I'm leaving it below, though, in hopes that maybe it--along with this confession--might in some way spark a conversation that could lead to healing. I do not at all agree with their tactics, and I honestly think that they are doing much more harm than good for the Kingdom, but that doesn't excuse my off-handed comments meant to belittle and demean them. So please, hear my reactions, but hear as well my tempered and (hopefully) love-infused reaction to said reaction. And maybe together, we the church can be better than we are now.



Last night, I had the immense blessing to drive around a van of beach reachers, working tirelessly in the late late evening--Jimmy Fallon was already asleep--to minister to buzzed, drunk, and sloshed spring breakers.

It was a blast.

But there's one part of last night I can't stop thinking about: the protesters.

Outside of Louie's, one of the two big party clubs, there was a small group of Christian men standing with signs and bullhorns, condemning everyone there to hell. "Repent or burn!" I heard one guy yell. They even protested against us, as we were aiding them in their sin.

It probably didn't cross their minds at all that by taxiing them around, we were cutting down on drunk driving around this small island.

I sincerely hope that they are not the only Jesus that these people see.

No comments:

Post a Comment