Monday, March 10, 2014

Beach Reach Part One

Today I woke up in Kyle, flew from Austin North to Dallas, flew from Dallas South to Harlingen (which I didn't even know had an airport), and then drove from Harlingen's said (surprise) airport to South Padre.

I would choose to spend Spring Break in South Padre--not as a single college kid, but as a married pastor. Weird, right? But I'm excited, because I'm not here to party or drink or any of the normal Padre-during-Spring-Break stuff. I'm here because of all of that, but not to partake in it.

I'm here for Beach Reach.

Beach Reach is a ministry that was started decades ago by the Baptist Student Ministries (BSM) organization. They have been coming to Padre and other Spring Break locations every year to minister to the people who are coming for... anything but Jesus. They do a free taxi service to cut down on drunk driving. They walk the roads and beaches praying for people. They even do free pancake breakfasts for anyone who is hungry. It's pretty cool, and I'm excited to spend this week with the Texas Wesley Foundation as they join their fellow UT students from the BSM in reaching out to their peers. There are some 90 people here from UT engaging in this ministry, and we're not the only ones. We're joining a group that this week totals over 800 college students and sponsors, doing a very special form of God's work.

It's exciting!

My prayer is that in the midst of the partying, drinking, cavorting, etc..., Jesus would be present. Either through us or in spite of us, I hope that God does some amazing things this week.

And don't worry--I'll keep y'all informed as to how it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment