Sunday, February 24, 2013

2.24.13--Sermon on Genesis 15:1-12,17-18


When I was growing up, I was blessed to be surrounded by a community that seemed to be almost through and through Christian. Everyone belonged to a church—whether they attended regularly or not—and all of my friends were extremely involved in church activities. Now, there was a lot of cross-pollination occurring among the youth of the community; it was very rare for a junior high or senior high student to have only attended youth group at one of the many churches in town.

And let me tell you. There were a lot of churches.

Southern Baptist. American Baptist. Methodist. Lutheran. Episcopal. First Christian. Church of Christ. African Methodist Episcopal. Non-denominational. Churches of all denominations and from all walks of life littered this tiny town. In fact, my home town is in the Guinness Book of World Records because of its ample amount of churches: it is the only town in the world that can boast that it has four churches and jail all on one city block.

Now, I was a good Methodist, heavily involved in the United Methodist Youth Fellowship, or UMYF, that happened every Wednesday night and Sunday mornings at First United Methodist Church. But I was also known to show up on occasion to the youth events put on First Baptist. I also found out that some of the best food to be found on Wednesday nights was at the Church of Christ youth fellowship, so every once in a while I would head over there for a bite to eat and Bible study. Church at the Epicenter, a new extra-denominational church—which is just another fancy way of saying non-denominational—was just starting while I was finishing up high school. Their services were always spiritually filling and I loved sneaking in the back to join them in worship.

This ecclesial cross-pollination led to some very interesting conversations between people with different church backgrounds, but it also led to the forming of some absolutely amazing faith-based relationships. The minister the Church of Christ congregation is still a friend and mentor of mine, and some of the members of the First Baptist Church and Church at the Epicenter had faiths so strong that to this day they are still some of the examples to which I strive to emulate.

No matter where I went, though, whether it was my home congregation, the church across the street, or one of the many within walking distance to my house, I know that I could walk through the doors and be immediately greeted by people I knew and loved and who knew and loved me. I would see families with children as young as James, young men and women my age, and highly experienced men and women who looked like they could be my Papa’s parents; but everyone was glad to see me, and I was glad to see all of them.

It was a great time to be in the church, because it seemed like everyone was there.

Now, as all of you can see and as many of you have pointed out, I’m still a young’un. It hasn’t been a full decade since I graduated from high school. But it seems like a good bit has changed since I was in high school. When I went back to my hometown a few weeks ago, I got to go back to that church I grew up in. I got to see many of the people who had helped raise me in faith, and it was a wonderful, nostalgic time of fellowship and worship. But something had changed. Now, there were still people of all ages there, some of the ones in high school are the little brothers and sisters of my friends, which still trips me up because I think they should still be in second or third grade. The old friendly faces that I missed so dearly were still there, and there were a good many new faces alongside them.

But the attitude had changed. The atmosphere of the church was just a little different. Instead of that feeling like I was entering a celebration or large family gathering, I felt like I was walking into a bunker full of soldiers who knew they were fighting a losing battle. Now don’t get me wrong. The worship was wonderful. It was great to see all of my old friends and to spend time praising God with them. But something was off.

It wasn’t until after the service when I had a chance to talk to some of those people that I began to understand. You see, no matter whom I spoke to, I heard the same few statements from almost everyone:

“No one comes to church anymore.”

“We can’t compete with Sunday sports.”

“It’s not like it used to be. Everything’s changed.”

This church—still reaching a large number of people and still full of many of the individuals from my past—this church had seemingly forgotten who they serve. For whatever reason, and they could give you a laundry list of them, they had taken their eyes off of the true prize, the true reason for doing church.

They had lost sight of the promise. 

In our Scripture lesson today, we witness a very interesting, extremely important exchange between the Lord Almighty and Abram. Earlier in the story, God called Abram out of his father’s land, the land of Ur, and sent him on a quest for the land that God had promised to him. First he went to Egypt, where he had a run-in with Pharaoh. The Lord saved him from what should have been certain death. Then, Abram gives his nephew, Lot, the entirety of the prime grazing land for his herds. Abram’s flocks should have starved to death if they did not long before die of thirst. The Lord provided for him there as well. Not long after, Lot and his family are captured and enslaved by an evil king, and God uses Abram’s 318 men to conquer a nation.

And now, after all of this, God comes to Abram to speak of the blessings in store for him. God tells Abram, “I am your shield, your very great reward.”

And after all of this, Abram replies with words of defeat. "O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue to be childless, and heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus? You have given me no offspring, and so a slave born in my house is to be my heir." Later, he asks, "O Lord God, how can I know that I will possess these things?" After all that God had done for Abram, he still cannot trust that God will truly provide what God promises.

And I don’t really blame him, honestly. He’s old. His wife is old. The human body was made with a window of time for procreation. Doctors will tell you theses days that women who try to give birth after about 40 years of age run high risks of complications—both for themselves and for their babies. Not long after this, it becomes less and less likely that having a child is an option until it is not possible at all anymore.

Sarai, Abram’s wife, is at this time 85 years old. She is well past her window of opportunity, and I’m sure that many of you in here would think her absolutely crazy for even thinking about having a child that late in life! Abram has good reason to doubt, good reason to question.

But this is God we are talking about. The same God who time and again has provided for Abram and will continue to do so, by the way. God is telling Abram not to worry.

I think I’d put my trust in the Lord.

Now, in the face of Abram’s doubt, in the face of his questioning and in the face of his minor loss of faith, God does not leave Abram. God does not desert him and find someone else who trusts more implicitly. Instead, God enacts a solemn covenant with Abram, one extremely well known during this time as a way that kings would confirm treaties.

You see, this is what would happen: when two kings met to agree on a treaty after a war or to preemptively stop a war, animals would be gathered—usually the best of breed. They would be lined up, slaughtered, and cut in half vertically. The lesser king, usually the one asking for the treaty, would then walk through the bloody carcasses.

Messy, yes. But it was a way to symbolize for the kings and the world that if the treaty were broken for whatever reason, the fate of these animals would be meted out to the now-humbled king. God passes through these animal halves, vowing on pain of death that God will answer this promise to Abram.

That is the promise that God made to Abram, who later became Abraham, the patriarch of the Israelite people, God’s people.

And friends, as descendants of that promise, as brothers and sisters adopted not only into God’s people but into the holy body of Christ, that is the promise that God makes to us as well. God covenants with us to be our shield and our very great reward. God vows to walk with us, to engage this world with us, and to work through us to bring God’s kingdom upon the earth.

Now, I’ve heard from many of you the same kind of talk as I heard two weeks ago in my hometown. The community has deserted us. There’s no one left to reach out to. How can we compete with everything else happening on Sunday mornings?

Now, these might all have some facet of truth, and the questions might be as relevant as anything else that we could be asking, but let me be very clear about something: God has promised to be our shield and our very great reward. This is a promise worth holding on to. If we keep our sights locked on God, if we keep our trust in our Creator, Savior, and Sustainer, we will see this and anything else through.

We have a lot that we can learn from the story of God’s pursuit and blessing of Abraham. We can learn the perseverance that God has asked us to maintain. God provided for Abraham, but it was not always the easiest journey. We can learn God’s knack for bringing new life out of necessary change, even change that might seem scary. Abram was living a good life in Ur, but God called him out of that place, out of that context, and into something greater. We might find that we are called to leave our comfort zones, leave our pews, and take the work of God to the people.

We can learn a lot of lessons from this story, but one of the most important is the lesson of keeping our eyes on the prize and our sight on the promise.

No one should walk through our doors and encounter a spirit of defeat, even if that means we change our tactics for ministry. We can’t get people here on Sunday mornings? Let’s try inviting them on Tuesday nights. If all of the young families are out on the soccer field down the road on Sunday morning, maybe that’s where we should be as well.

No one should walk through our doors and encounter a spirit of defeat, even when it seems like the brokenness of the world is winning. God provided a son for a 100 year-old man and a 99 year-old woman. God kept his promise to Abram, and God will keep his promise to us as well.

No one should walk through our doors and encounter a spirit of defeat, for the Lord is our shield and our very great reward.

Let’s keep our sights on that promise.

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment