Sunday, February 17, 2013

2.17.12--Sermon on Deuteronomy 26:1-11


When I was eight years old, my brother and I caught a kitten.

We were at the softball fields on Hickam AFB on Oahu, waiting for my dad to finish his game. Korey nudged my arm and pointed to this tiny ball of fluff that was cowering near the dugout, and we set off on a mission to capture the cat. Never once did we think that this might be a bad idea. Never once did we think that the poor animal was probably frightened out of its mind, that it might have rabies, that it might actually belong to someone.

We just saw a cute little kitty, and we wanted to play with it.

After about twenty minutes of running around, we finally cornered it against the fence. I picked it up, and it was the tiniest cat I’d ever seen. At eight years old, I could hold it in my hands and have room to spare. We brought it to my dad after the game and told him that we were going to keep it. I’m not sure how we got away with not asking, but we did, so that night, we brought this tiny cat home and he became part of our family.

We named him Pete the Barn Cat, because that was the name of a character in a line of children’s books that I was reading at the time.

Pete traveled from Hawaii to Texas with us, and at some point transitioned from being an indoor cat to an outdoor one. I always felt that I had a special bond with Pete, for even when I’d been gone for long periods of time, he would always run up to me and sit happily in my lap while I pet him. After I went to college, Pete kind of slipped from the forefront of my mind. When I would go home, I’d always try to spend a little bit of time with him, but that time continued to grow shorter and shorter. 

That happens a lot with the things and people we love, doesn’t it? We love spending time with them or we get so excited about something, but over time, that initial energy we feel toward it wanes. It’s what some people call the “honeymoon period.” After a couple gets married, they go on the wonderful honeymoon and then they have to come back to the real world. The initial glow fades, and it can feel like something is missing from the relationship. It is then that the work of a marriage begins, and the task of learning to truly live with each other has the potential to hit the couple hard.

But this happens with other relationships as well. My little sister is almost a teenager. She has had best friend after best friend after best friend because she is at that age when she thrives on the magic of that honeymoon period. It’s not that she is unintelligent or even that she’s shallow; she just craves the excitement of new relationships.

And it’s not just with people, is it? I have a bad tendency of coveting a certain gadget or gizmo as it first hits the market, but it does not take long after I buy it before it begins to lose its original luster. The magic that first drew me to it is gone, and even though I might continue to use it for its practical reasons, it is not new and exciting for me anymore.

It happens with jobs too. The excitement of starting something new, of diving in to work among a brand new network of people doing a brand new thing can send an almost adrenaline-like spike to your body. Getting up early for the start of those first few days is not hard. Finding the energy to give it just that extra little push is not too taxing. But in the coming months, in the coming years, it might get harder and harder to get up in the mornings. It might not be long until you find yourself starring at the clock and willing it to move faster.

The honeymoon period of friendships and gadgets and careers must end just as it must with actual honeymoons. Because you see, it is in the grime and grit after that initial magic that true life emerges. That is where real interactions take place, and it is here that we spend most of our lives.

Which is kind of sad, when you think about it, because we are not the most grateful people when it comes to that time after the honeymoon period. When we are not experiencing that newness and excitement, we tend to take our relationships and our possessions and our careers for granted, forgetting just how blessed we are. Worse, though, is that when we are distanced from those things, when we find ourselves in the valleys of life, we tend to forget entirely of those blessings, instead choosing to focus on the wrongs and injustices before us.

Now, I’d say that this is probably a byproduct of our society and culture, but our Scripture reading this morning seems to speak toward this being an integral part of the human condition: we always want new things, and unless we work toward it, we always become complacent and ungrateful for them. Let’s read together again the words of our Lord in Deuteronomy 26:1-11

Once you have entered the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, and you take possession of it and are settled there, take some of the early produce of the fertile ground that you have harvested from the land the LORD your God is giving you, and put it in a basket. Then go to the location the LORD your God selects for his name to reside. Go to the priest who is in office at that time and say to him: “I am declaring right now before the LORD my God that I have indeed arrived in the land the LORD swore to our ancestors to give us.”
The priest will then take the basket from you and place it before the LORD your God’s altar.
Then you should solemnly state before the LORD your God: “My father was a starving Aramean. He went down to Egypt, living as an immigrant there with few family members, but that is where he became a great nation, mighty and numerous. The Egyptians treated us terribly, oppressing us and forcing hard labor on us. So we cried out for help to the LORD, our ancestors’ God. The LORD heard our call. God saw our misery, our trouble, and our oppression. The LORD brought us out of Egypt with a strong hand and an outstretched arm, with awesome power, and with signs and wonders. He brought us to this place and gave us this land—a land full of milk and honey. So now I am bringing the early produce of the fertile ground that you, LORD, have given me.”
Set the produce before the LORD your God, bowing down before the LORD your God. Then celebrate all the good things the LORD your God has done for you and your family—each one of you along with the Levites and the immigrants who are among you.

God knew that unless the Israelites had a practice in place to remind them who they were and to be thankful for the many blessings they have received that they would soon forget about them and grow complacent. To help them remember, to help them continue to remember all that God had done and was continuing to do for them, God set up the tithe, the offering of the first fruits. This was a way to celebrate in perpetuity the great things that the Lord had done for the Israelite people, a way to always remember the wonderful work of God.

Starting from the time that God’s people first settled in the Promised Land and continuing on throughout the ages, the Israelite people would take the first yields of their harvests—whatever they were throughout the year—and present them before the priests as an offering to God. This was a solemn gift of gratefulness, but it was also done in celebration. It was a way of saying, “Look what God has done for me and my people!”

And so in an act of celebration, there would be a festival at each harvest where Israelite and alien alike could come together in praise and thanksgiving for what God had done for them. It was a way to reignite that honeymoon period, to enjoy anew the relationship between Creator and created.

This sounds a lot different than the way we see our offerings today, doesn’t it? We don’t have loud celebrations where we invite the community to share in our joys. We don’t take time as a church family to remember all that God has done throughout the years and is continuing to do for us before putting our money in the plate. We do not come before the altar to give it anymore, but instead we anonymously place our gifts in a brass plate.

Now, I’m not saying that our practice is bad, but there is a considerable amount of joy that should be in it seems to missing from it, doesn’t there? It is like we’ve passed through our honeymoon period and we don’t want to re-engage it anymore.

Well friends, I’m here to tell you that our individual and corporate relationships with God can be so much more than they are now, and one of the ways to make this so is by joyously engaging in this very type of celebration. Even if we do not want to exactly emulate the ancient Israelites, we should find ways to remember just how blessed we are and to celebrate what God has done and is doing in our lives.

Because the truth is that life is so much better when we remember our blessings and take advantage of the opportunities presented to us.

Two weeks ago, when I was home this time, I spent a little time petting Pete. I picked him up and was surprised at how little he weighed. He didn’t seem to be as strong as he used to be, and even though he purred when I pet him, he seemed to just hang limply in my arms. But I gave him some love, because he was my pet.

Two days ago, Korey called me to tell me that Pete had to be put down. He was almost 17 years old, and his body had simply given up on him. As I heard this news, the first thing I thought of was how much I wish I had spent more time with him in his later years. I stopped petting him, stopped sitting with him, and would rarely go out and see him. But then, as I kept think about it, I realized how thankful I was to have gotten to hold him and pet him one last time, this cat who had been my friend for most of my life.

During this season of Lent, we’re going to be talking about what it means to give to God’s kingdom and receive from God’s gracious love. But before we can talk about any of that, we have to know how to be thankful and grateful and how to praise God for the things we already have in our lives, both individually and as the church. So may we take the time to be thankful and grateful for what God has given us in our lives. May we take the time to thank God and celebrate with those around us for the blessings that are amply evident. May we stop taking for granted the gifts God has given us—be they friendships, vocations, or even pets—and may we always praise God for them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment