Wednesday, May 2, 2012

4.29.12--Guided Meditation on Psalm 23


The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. The Lord is the good shepherd, who cares for all of his sheep, even me. In him, all of my needs are met. Even though I may find that at times I want more than I have, and even when it seems like the current pastures are not green enough, I can stand firm in the knowledge that my God is sustaining and caring for me, and I need nothing more than this. When I needed it the most, I know that my Lord, my good shepherd, gave his life for my own, giving all that he had so that I might retain what little I had. The Lord is no hired hand, who placed his own needs above mine, but is instead the shepherd, the one who gave all for me. The Lord, my shepherd, loves me.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. My shepherd wants only the best for me, and is always leading me to new places of nourishment and rest. When the ways of this world become dark and dangerous, my Lord, the good shepherd, leads me to newness and to life. While I rest, I know he watches over me, standing guard and keeping me safe. My God provides for me even when there does not seem to be any provisions, for my Lord, the good shepherd, has the power to multiply food to feed four and five thousand plus, and longs to see each of his sheep fed and cared for. When I have done all I can, given all I have to give, the good shepherd fills me again, invigorating me and pushing me on toward our destination, toward our goal. My Lord cares for more than just my body; he cares for my soul.

He leads me in right paths for his namesake. My Lord, the good shepherd, knows that without his guidance, I would be trapped in the ruts of the pasture. I could not go anywhere new, anywhere healthy and fresh, for all I know is how to continue in sin, searching the bleak, scorched earth for signs of life that have long since been forgotten. Instead of leaving me here to my own devices, instead of allowing me to remain easy prey for the wolf who comes to kill and destroy, the good shepherd leads me on new and right paths, always moving me closer to him, always reminding me of why I place my trust in him. Even when I find that I have deviated greatly from the path, even when I have ventured away from the 99 and am lost in the wilderness, my Lord, the good shepherd, will leave everything to find me and restore me to the right path.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff—they comfort me. No matter how bad things become, no matter how bleak the situation is, I know that the Lord, my good shepherd, will see me through it. Even though demons posses me, even though sight and sound and speech are taken from me, even though I may personally experience the icy hand of death, I know that I am not alone, for the Lord, the good shepherd, is with me. And even more importantly, the Lord has been through all of these dark places already! He has gone ahead of me and knows how treacherous the way will become. And yet I can find solace even in this treacherousness, for I know that the good shepherd is with me and will fight for me if necessary. Nothing can stand up against me, for if the good shepherd is for me, then who could be against me?

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Even when I am surrounded by evil, even when the forces of darkness are gathered all around, you care for my every need. I have nothing to fear in you, my good shepherd, for I know that in you deliverance is guaranteed. I can even rejoice in my persecutions, for I know that they lead to perseverance, character, and a hope that will not disappoint. You prepare me for the feast day and honor me with oil, as if I were anything special. You, the Lord, my good shepherd, place me in the highest place, that I might realize your love for me and for all of your creation. You not only care for me, but you hold me as your highest priority.

And because of that, I give all praise to you, my Lord, my good shepherd, and I have faith that in this life and the life to come that you will be with me, that you will guide me, that you will provide for me and that you will love me. For surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever and ever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment